Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP) has been generating and supplying electricity in to the Kenyan national grid since September 2018, when construction of the 436km Loiyangalani – Suswa transmission line was completed by KETRACO. As of 1 December 2018, LTWP had generated 203,224,445 kwh of electricity.
The various elements that make up the Project have all been completed, namely:
• Construction of 365 Wind Turbine Generators (WTGs), with a capacity of 850kW each, for a total project installed capacity of 310 MW connected via a 33kV collection grid to the substation;
• Installation of 365 Step-up Transformers 0.69/33 kV per Unit;
• Construction of a sectionalized 33kV Substation, Step-up Power Transformers 33/220(400) kV;
• Installation of three Dynamic Reactive Power Compensation Systems (Statcoms);
• Installation of a SCADA System;
• Construction of the LTWP Accommodation Village, which houses 148 people;
• Construction and maintenance of 130km of internal access roads; and,
• Upgrading of 208km road from Laisamis to Sarima.
The successful completion of this project showcases Kenya as a safe and reliable investment destination that embraces large-scale private sector infrastructure investment and demonstrates a strong ability to implement successful public-private partnerships.
LTWP, together with its Shareholders and Lenders, thanks the Government of Kenya, KPLC, KETRACO, it’s contractors, the local communities and all its employees for their dedication and close collaboration, which combined has made our dream a reality.