Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP) has a dedicated team of Community Liaison Officers (CLO) and Community Advisors (31 in total) distributed across Laisamis Constituency who implement LTWP’s stakeholder engagement strategy by engaging with stakeholders on a daily basis.
LTWP records community engagement meetings, which cover a range of topics such as employment opportunities, notice of transportation convoys, health and safety impacts and implementation of community development projects through Winds of Change.
Compared to the engagements during the construction phase, the engagements in the operations phase have focused more on
- Peaceful coexistence,
- Health and safety risks associated with an operational substation and electrified transmission line, and
- Community development projects that are being implemented by Winds of Change.
LTWP’s grievance management process
Definition: A grievance is typically a complaint about something that you believe to be wrong or unfair. By submitting a grievance, you can express your concern or dissatisfaction if you believe that LTWP (or its contractors) has treated you (or anyone else) unfairly or unjustly.
Anyone who has a grievance to raise, whether individuals, groups or companies, can submit a grievance to LTWP directly.
Below you will find different channels through which you can submit grievances to LTWP. Different ways of submitting a grievance have been established because LTWP knows that different communities and people may prefer different channels for communicating.
The flowchart below depicts LTWP’s grievance mechanism.
- Once you have submitted a grievance, LTWP will acknowledge grievance within 7 working days, and Close-out decision communicated within 14 working days;
- LTWP will thoroughly investigate all cases when it is suspected that LTWP, its staff, contractors and/or sub-contractors may have potentially violated rights, harmed someone or caused damage;
- LTWP aims to find mutually acceptable solutions whenever possible;
- If you are not satisfied with LTWP’s response or the proposed solution, an independent mediator will be invited, upon your request, to review your case and find an amicable solution;
- LTWP will propose appropriate solutions based on facts; and,
- LTWP will keep all details of your grievance strictly confidential.
Channels through which to submit your grievance include:
Download Grievance Form, complete and return this form in a sealed envelope to:
- By e-mail: email@example.com;
- By hand: Job Lengoiyap at the LTWP Office on the wind farm site in Marsabit County;
- By post: Felix Rottmann, Lake Turkana Wind Power Ltd, P.O Box 2114-00502, Karen, Nairobi Kenya.
If you want to provide some feedback and/or raise a complaint (also known as a ‘grievance’), please contract LTWP using the contact details provided below
For further information, please contact LTWP via e-mail, post or telephone.
Telephone: +254 (0)20 221 3493
Postal address: Lake Turkana Wind Power Ltd. P.O Box 2114-00502, Karen, Nairobi, Kenya